Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Chinese New Year 2008 - Part 2

There is a steamboat going on in our household tonight. I've set the table, made the sauces, and set out some food which is stored in the fridge. Mum has made a simple vegetable stock (radish, carrots & mushrooms) to use as our soup base.

Individual place settings - nothing fancy this time. If you like my table cloth, guess what, the total cost was less than $20! I bought 3 pieces of batik in contrasting colours, brought them to my tailor to hem and 'join' and look at beautiful it is - I love the fact that it can hide food/wine stains well.

Steamboats are really easy - no cooking involved, just some preparations. Tonight I intend to eat very slowly enjoying the simple food and a nice chilled glass of Chardonnay.

I'll add other pics of food later. There will be meat balls, squid, fish fillet, prawns, prawn balls (fresh of course - none of that frozen stuff), sliced chicken, assorted stuffed vegs/tofu, fish balls, lots of vegetables, tofu, and eggs for those who want them.

I made a chilli/garlic/light soy/sesame oil/white pepper sauce to dip all the meats into (for the adults). And an oyster/light soy/dash of sugar/lots of shallot oil sauce for my kids (this sauce will double up as a sauce for the wantons which we will poach in a separate pot. You don't want the flour from the wanton wrappers clouding the soup. And there is plenty of fried shallots in oil for those who like this in their soup.


More later!

No comments: