Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chinese New Year 2008 - Part 9

Thank you everyone who came yesterday for lunch, ZT and family, Pablo & family, A & family and parents, Siti and little brother, Azian, Izzah, and M and friends, and another M, my dear young friend and Z and her children. (Thank you for the HUGE buttery butter cake delivered by T yesterday evening)...
And many more family friends. (We really missed you, Reeda and family) but understand why you couldn't come.
Thank you for bringing food and thoughtful gifts too ( from A & ZT ) and Siti, your fudgey brownie, cake thingy was FABULOUS and a great hit with my family and 2 visitors who dropped in late last night. Share your secret recipe, darling?? And Pablo and Bunny, thank you for the Hazelnut/chocolate cakes especially baked for Hazel.
I don't have a single shot of all the food on the table but I cooked :

Chicken Curry.

Fried sardine meehoon with 2 sauces (lime chilli, and Hk chilli oil).
Sayur manis with coconut gravy with fish balls, and fish cake.

A joint of roast beef with pepper sauce - I left most of the juicy fat on to give flavour to and to tenderise the meat.

Another pic but taken with flash.
Before it went into the oven.

The pan juices which became a creamy pepper sauce.

And the meat resting for an hour before being sliced.

Two potato salads.

These are the eggs which topped my potato salad - see, perfectly done fluffy yolks, and no sign of that dreadful grey circle around the yolks.

And bought some beef and chicken beryani with rice from a favourite Indian coffeeshop.
Accompaniments were rice, roti boom and parathas, popadums.

And sweet and savoury rice parcels in banana leaves brought by Irene, a friend of Wm's.

There was also heaps of new year goodies such as chocs, biscuits, nuts and oranges.
This was how dark it was yesterday when I woke up to start cooking with only the radio to keep me company. (oh, no, that sounds sooooo sad!!).

The dieting/detox starts on Monday but today I am going to have wantons made by Mum, meat stew, leftover sayur manis, and radish cake.... and a whole lot of other goodies still in the fridge.
Happy New Year again to all of you and thank you again so much for coming to my home yesterday.

With thanks to M for some of the food shots.

2 comments:

anakbrunei said...

Haiyaaa I missed a heck of a gathering la!! The sardine beehoon sounds like a refreshing change... mmm and the roast beef.. I can taste it now! Heheh! Sorry we were not able to make it E :(

Foodie Tales said...

Haiyaaaaaaah, Reeds - I really missed you and your family! (And read Jeeds sms very late).. Never mind, like they say sia sia pun. But there will be more meals at my house in the future! E.