Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sun, 21st Oct 2007

I've learnt something tonight. NEVER EVER attempt to fillet a salmon if you do not have the skills, expertise, experience or tools. I had to take them off the bone in one sweep (haha more than one sweep), remove skin, and bones. Oh dear, I think my fillets were slightly mangled but here they are, curing in salt, brown sugar, black pepper & dill.

I've wrapped them up tightly, poked little drainage holes in the clingwrap and rested the fillets on some foil so that the juices can drain away.

They are now resting quietly in the fridge in a plastic container.

I'll have a peek at them on Tuesday and if they are ready, we'll have them with a squeeze of lemon over, and little triangles of toast and some Riesling.

Oh, something else I learnt tonight, wash hands with toothpaste (as a substitute for lime/lemon) to rid fish smells. They were not exactly a fishy fishy smell but more a salmony fishy smell which no amount of scrubbing with dishwashing liquid could get rid of. So I used toothpaste and a good nail brush to scrub up to my elbows. Then slather hands with Jurlique rose hand cream and leave smears all over keyboard/mouse.

3 comments:

Katie-Ella said...

Toothpaste! Aha! Excellent tip, E. Does it work with garlic too? The number of times I have sniffed my fingers at work thinking, is it just me or do my fingers still smell like garlic/fish from last night's cooking? And then getting really really paranoid about my colleagues being able to smell it too...

Eleanor said...

haha - I don't know but do give it a go the next time you're feeling garlic - it didn't remove the smell entirely but in the absence of lime/lemon/bicarb, I thought toothpaste made a good substitute. And my toothpaste is Darlie Lime flavour - yummy. E.

Eleanor said...

peeling!!!! hahaah (feeling garlic)....