Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Lobster Bisque

Here is my first attempt at making Lobster Bisque.

I started by reducing the stock which I had made earlier by half - that did the trick to intensify the flavours - then I added in lots of lobster meat, and kept aside the best parts for the garnish (you only see two pieces here as the rest sank)!! If the soup had been thickened, I think the meat would have stayed on the top for better presentation.
Overall - not bad for a first effort - if I were to make it again, I would thicken it slightly using a roux but it was pretty good - very lobstery and t.a.s.t.y.....
And this is how it all began.
I spent quite a long time cleaning the shells, removing icky bits from inside the head,
rinsing and cutting the shells into smaller pieces.
Next, I sauteed some carrots and onions in a pan with olive oil - I should have added celery and maybe leek but I didn't have any so I had to make to with 2 ingredients to make the mire poix. I added quite a selection of herbs such as thyme, marjoram, tarragon, parsley and some pepper and 2 bay leaves.
The shells were then added when all the ingredients were thoroughly mixed, I added half a cup of brandy. After the alcohol had evaporated, I added water (fish stock should have been added at this point).
Boil, boil, boil; strain and keep.
Next the soup was reduced and I added some heavy cream and a bit more pepper. Garnish with cream, some green and tiny chopped carrots.
Serve!

No comments: