Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Weds, 22nd May 2007

Tonight I decided to make steak sandwiches for my kids' dinner.
I have 2 quite lovely slabs of sirloin which I bought from SS on Sunday which had been sitting in the freezer.
I defrosted them slightly and while they still had some ice in them and thus was still quite firm, I not so deftly sliced each steak into 3 thin pieces. I marinated them with salt & coarsely ground black pepper (realised I had run out so I ground a bit more from whole black peppercorns),
dried rosemary and garlic. ( I then ran off to watch the finale of American Idol - go, Jordin, go girl, you will be crowned tomorrow, just you wait and see)!

Oh and a drizzle of olive oil.

The pics of the steaks on the grill pan were all absolute rubbish (like this):
but here is a pic when all the steak slices have all been grilled slightly - not too well done - you want them to be slightly pink and bursting with juices and flavour but with the nice charred edges.
(those dreaded lines AGAIN!!)
One more pic.

After the show, I went into the kitchen and assembled the rest of the ingredients:

Saute onions with a bit of sugar, salt & olive oil till the edges are brown, cut cucumbers and tomatoes, some mayonnaise & tomato sauce.

I really like the look of the bread rolls which I bought from Top Bake Bakery in Kiarong (was in the area returning some books to CfBT this afternoon) - the rolls were very pillowy and the surface turned slightly crunchy on toasting. It was slightly sweet but the sweetness balanced well with the salted butter. It does not have as much flavour and texture as 'designer' breads but the kids really liked them.

After trimming off the sinewy bits from the cooked meat, I let them assemble their own sandwiches. Here's Hazel with her first sandwich (no onions or tomatoes). A double decker. Her second helping was a single.
Mark's first helping.
Another pic.
The pic of his second helping was what I reckon is the best photo so I've put it on top.
And my dinner?
Two helpings of 'snake' longbeans - named after their twisty twirly shapes.

No comments: