Friday, August 1, 2008

Thurs, 17th July 2008

I went to the Vienna Restaurant with the girls tonight. Vienna is an excellent restaurant with the most beautifully cooked food. The menu is extensive with almost 3 pages devoted to wines & beverages and the special fish menu stretches a full page.

I am full of admiration for the chef/owner who cooks and serves when the restaurant busy. I went to the Vienna 3 times during my stay (yes the food is that good), service thawed considerably by my 2nd visit - by my 3rd, when I said goodbye to my favourite waiter, he from Goa was almost sad.
The starters:
Homemade Soup of the Day which was Tomato Soup
Calamari Rings

Sizzling Scallops in Garlic Butter

Scallops Mornay with Bacon
Crispy French Brie with Breadcrumbs. (5... I must have missed somebody)?
Main Courses: Beef Stroganoff with Basmati Rice (2 orders)

Grilled Whole Dover Sole (beautiful...)

My Beef Wellington was perfectly done, a gorgeous chunk of butter soft fillet, coarse pate encased in pufffff pastry with some jus.

Steamed Fillets of Seabass, with Giner & Spring Onions Butter

We shared a portion of salad, daily vegetables & the crunchiest sauteed potatoes ever (I think they must have been deepfried to obtain that crunch). You can see the salad in the Beef Stroganoff picture above.

For dessert (and it was dark by then), we shared a tiramisu and a strawberry tart.

No one could manage any coffee/tea by then; we finished off the rest of the wine and trotted off home, full, tired and sleepy, a 2 minute walk away while the rest drove off. It was a good night with lots of laughter and talk and of course, the occasional shrieks.
Taken at almost 8 pm and look how bright it still is outside.

No comments: