Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Halal Flaky Yam Paste Mooncake with Yolk

Dear readers - FEAST your eyes upon this Teo Chew style mooncake baked today by A & AB's Mum.
I've never had the pleasure of having a mooncake as such and what a magnificent first it was.
The filling is homemade yam paste delicately & lightly sweetened. Inserted into the yam paste is a fresh salted duck egg yolk. There is something about the slight saltiness of the duck's egg which marries well with the sweet yam. 'Best mates' as Jamie Oliver would say. The yam filling had a lovely texture to it - soft but not gooey or sticky, firm but not hard. A fine balance in between.
Study closely the multitude layers of flaky pastry - almost an artwork; the pastry was not at all oily and it was literally rice paper thin with a meltinyourmouth texture.
Thank you very much to A & AB's Mum for giving me the mooncake - I LOVED it! Readers, go here to see more of Mummy A/AB's creations. As I was cutting calories, I had a 1/8 slice and shared the rest with Wm & PT, we unanimously agreed that it was perfect.
Thank you, Auntie! Your mooncake is delicious...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy that you LOVED it - I did not lie! Hehe! I do admire your willpower for taking only an eighth of it...way to go and keep it up!

Will be showing this post to mum ;)

Senor Pablo said...

E. Looks good and sure taste good too.

I've opted for the snow skin version. Will get my batch tomorrow and will let u know my verdict..hehehe

Foodie Tales said...

We all loved it! It was very difficult having a teensy slice when it was so delicious and I wanted moremoremore :-(

Foodie Tales said...

Hi Pablo - look forward to seeing pics of the snowskin version. E.

Anonymous said...

golden goose usa
goyard
nike travis scott
yeezy shoes
golden goose
palm angels outlet
kyrie 7
supreme
hermes outlet
golden goose sale