Sunday, August 3, 2008

Weekend meals - Sat, 2nd Aug 2008

I made chicken rice on Saturday night for everyone including UR who hadn't been round for ages. I had 1.5 cornfed free range chickens which I poached in a broth of crushed pandan leaves, spring onion & serai stalks, ginger, sesame oil & salt.
The broth was very aromatic and imparted a lot of flavour onto the chicken. The poaching liquid was strained and used to cook some rice which I earlier fried with garlic, shallots & shredded ginger.
The chickens were gently put into gently simmering water and allowed to simmer for 10 minutes - turn heat off and let chickens cool in the stock - do not open the lid whatever you do. The pic above shows cooled chicken and broth; you will notice a bubble under the chicken skin, do not pierce it whatever you do as this will allow the broth which had accumulated under the skin to escape. The broth will later turn into a gelatinous layer just under the skin.
p.s And why aren't they any 'cooked' pictures? I think I was so eager to sit down and eat my homecooked chicken rice with lots of ginger/spring onion sauce I totally ignored the camera which was left in the kitchen.

No comments: