Sunday, August 3, 2008

Weds, 23rd July 2008

Dinner at The Refectory Pub & Restaurant

After our long walk, we found this place quite by chance and how glad we were that we did. The cold Becks won over London's Pride.


The menu.

I had been wanting some moules mariniere since I arrived and as this was my last evening, I chose this for my starters. We ordered more bread to mop up all the lovely light cream flavourful sauce. The mussels were tender and juicy and tasted like a fresh sea breeze.


I had a fish pie after and I think it had stayed in the oven 5 minutes longer than it should have. But the seafood was very fresh and the sauce lovely.

DS and AS both had steak and ale pies. Once you break through the lovely crown of light puff pastry which gives way with a satisfying crash, the smell of ale wafted, almost as in cartoons, in lovely swirly swirls of clouds, to our eager noses. The beef was chunky tender bathed in a gravy which was perfect with the puff pastry.
JS had Moroccon chicken - ooh, the sauce was spicy and it tasted almost like a curry. It was served with light cous cous and grilled vegetables.

For dessert, we had Eton Mess - it was lovely - I have seen Nigella make it on one of her shows and think that with its ease of preparation and handful of ingredients, even I can attempt something like this. Almost. Maybe. The meringue might be a bit of a challenge.

Bye, The Refectory.

No comments: