Friday, August 1, 2008

Weds, 23rd July 2008

Remember the Cream Tea I wrote about earlier? I must share some pics with you and take you around the little village. We had our Traditional English Cream Tea at The Lucky Duck at Shere. If I had to use one word to describe the village, I would have to resort to the very overused QUAINT - Oh but how quaint it was and I can't think of any other to best describe this picturesque place; with its tiny old cottages, flower beds, vegetable patches, little stream & lanes.

The interior of the Lucky Duck with little rickety chairs (it was hard to fit one of me on the little chairs - I kept thinking it may collapse under me, and this wouldn't surprise me one bit), low ceilings, worn ceramic crockery and ducks everywhere. hehe Too cute for words.

The menu, with a short write-up of the teahouse.

And now, be prepared to get highly excited :-) *if you are the highly excitable over food type, that is*, here is a plate of warm fluffy scones served with cream and strawberry jam. (It looks too dark for it to be strawberry jam but it is as you will see in the next picture).


Split scone into half,


slather with cream, and smear a dollop of jam onto the cream, tear off the morsel and pop into mouth. Repeat s.l.o.w.l.y.... And of course, reach over and top plate up with more cream and jam when required. Oh yummy - although it had a satisfying weight to it, the scone is not 'heavy' at all. It had the slightest hint of salt and the naturally sweet cream and jam balanced this off nicely. A pot of very strong tea (too strong for me) came with the scones and a pot of hot water. Sigh....... We took our time over tea, eating very slowly.

After tea, we took a walk and said hello to the ducks outside the teahouse, walked pass a different kind of Orchard Road as I know it, passed the Old Prison House, admired beautifully kept flower and vegetable beds, stopped to chat with Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men and Little Weed, gazed at a rather fearsome scarecrow (I wouldn't like to meet him on a dark night), and went into St James Church.


A lovely day was had by all with thanks to the Ss again.
DS has thoughtfully provided directions here, if anyone was keen on doing what we did. Thanks D.
The route that we took from Farnham to Guildford then to Shere and Godalming before returning to Farnham was as follows: A31 from Farnham to Guildford; A31 from Guildford to the junction with the A25 Dorking road, then A25 towards Dorking, then A248 to Shere (for cream tea); A248 from Shere towards Shalford then A3100 from Shalford to Godalming; A3100 from Godalming to Milford (for dinner in the Refectory pub/restaurant); B3100 from Milford to Farnham.

p.s I wonder if I should do the London post or more Airline Food Part 4 next; or chicken rice as I'm making that for dinner tonight? Or continue with the dinner at the Refectory? (sleek country pub with great food - I know sleek & country are not usually words that go together but wait till you see the pics).

No comments: