Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sunday, 23rd March 2008 - Day 6

My last day with my hosts was on Easter Sunday and as all the shops were closed, I spent the entire day cooking, packing, snacking and just generally lazying around the apartment. Here's lunch.

Meats are bought from a very friendly Syrian butcher in Chinatown. I used sirloins steaks cut into thick strips and cubes for the stew. Oh, I forgot - I was about to embark on my usual format of words and pictures, but here is the requested 'print friendly' format:

Ingredients

Beef (cut into thick cubes; toss in flour and salt and black pepper)
Onions (white & red) and garlic
Celery
Leek
Tomato
Fresh Parsley
Mushrooms
Dutch Carrots

Method

1. Brown beef on high heat till edges are charred. Remove from pan.
2. In same pan, add more olive oil if required and sweat garlic, onions, celery, leek and tomato. Add fresh parsley, and generous dustings of any other dried herbs, and lots of black pepper.
3. Add 1 and half cups of non-alcoholic wine (they have a fabulous non-alcoholic Shiraz which gives almost exactly the same taste/smell as the 'real' one which is simply great for cooking halal dishes).
4. Add 1 Maggi sup tulang stock cube and some water. (I'm not that much of a foodie snob to make beef stock from scratch).
5. Simmer gently so all the flavours blend together. Adjust seasoning if required.
6. As the beef was so tender already, I did not want to add them in till much later (about 20 minutes)
7. Fry mushrooms and carrots separately in a pan till lightly browned.
8. Add just before serving.
And there you go, the easiest beef stew recipe ever.
And now for the story in pictures.



Table shot.
Cooking in Z's apartment is a breeze because everything is within arm's reach and the TV is right in front of the kitchen counter/sink area. I can watch TV and chat to her (sometimes I don't answer and that's because I'm completely engrossed in what I'm doing and away in Temburong as I always say!!!!) while I'm cooking, and if I need a rest, the couch is a few steps away for me to plop myself down with a cup of tea and a magazine.

Finally, these pics of Z's sons, D & Z, make me very very happy indeed.

And of course, these too.

No comments: