Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday, 26th Oct 2008

Lovely wet Sunday - first things first - lemon poppyseed cake baked by Wm, with lemon syrup glaze and a pot of green tea.

Breakfast for my kids - French Toast with Butter and Honey with Milo.

Puffy wholemeal bread soaked with egg. I am very generous with the egg mixture to achieve a lovely custard filling penetrating to the middle of the bread.
Then I made some tuna/potato patties - I just made up the recipe as I went along.
First boil some potatoes (skin on) in a pot of salted water with a small onion. Drain and return potatoes and onion to pot to rid excess water.
Mash with a bit of salt and a small knob of butter - set aside to cool.
In a separate bowl, add finely diced onion, a tin of drained tuna chunks, dried parsley, mayonnaise, egg and a bit of salt and black pepper. Mix well.

I think I should not have added both egg and mayonnaise (one or the other next time) - the mixture was too runny and I added some flour and breadcrumbs to rectify it and to obtain a thicker consistency.

Ok, that seems to have done the trick. I shaped them into patties and coated them with more breadcrumbs. Put on a lightly buttered baking tray and sprinkled a bit more parsley on top.

And bake for about 25 mins till they are lightly browned. No need to turn.
Wait a bit (if you can) before you pop several of these into your mouth.

Here's Mark trying to teach himself an easy song on the piano.

and Hazel in her most casuals with bathers on going next door for a birthday party. I'm hibernating.
Much later I taught Mark to make a creamy mushroom/chicken pasta sauce from scratch. It was good! Well done, Mark. When his exams are over, I'll teach him more easy meals such as steak, roasted pototoes, meat sauce for spaghetti, and maybe how to roast a chicken too.
And I made a beef stew for tomorrow - it's sitting in the fridge now. I love lazy Sundays like today's.

No comments: