Friday, October 3, 2008

Fri, 3rd October 2008

And blogging continues now that the picture bank is well and truly topped up to 10gb till Sept '09..

I hope everyone is having a fabulous Raya with lots of delicious food and catching up with friends and relatives. Except for driving up/down Salambigar for Mark's tuition rounds, I've been flopping around at home well and truly appreciating the last few days off before the new school term starts next week (school rounds again)... A sudden spurt of energy saw me having a massive (brutal) all day clear out with 15 large bags of stuff to be donated tomorrow; and 5 bags of clothes for our maid's daughter. 2 bags have gone to C and he's having the bike too. I love clearing out but my pleas for a co-ordinated effort to tackle the store room fell on deaf ears - time for drastic measures tomorrow.

Recent food - leftover beef shank curry rice with fresh coriander.

Roast chicken with rice and curry gravy. Here's Mark tucking in.

My version of Singaporean Fried MeeHoon with Fish Cake, Egg, Carrot, Onions & Greens. Lots of curry powder and surprisingly Hazel ate hers without comment/complain. The real version usually has shredded red & green peppers, bean sprouts and char siu.

The following day, I found some leftovers in the fridge and fried it up again with an egg till the meehoon was crispy at the bottom, huge dollop of HK chilli oil and I ate it from the frying pan. No plate = less washing up. It tasted better than it did yesterday. :-)

Oh this is quite delicious - it's quite common in Chinese restaurants - 3 egg vegetables with stock. I made the stock with panfried dried scallops, garlic and dried whitebait. Added water and simmered the stock till it was very tasty indeed. Spinach, then chopped century & salted eggs and lastly, a beaten egg and take if off the fire immediately. Teensy pinch of salt too. It's easy and I will make this again. The soup/stock is sweet not from sugar, I mean, but from the ingredients.

Pause for a handbag moment. I was there to catch the unveiling and had a chance to paw.

Twice Cooked Potato Salad (just a silly pretentious name I thought of) - Parboiled potatoes, roasted with salt/black pepper/tiny dash of olive oil and hint of rosemary. The potatoes were good enough to eat on their own.

Mayonnaise was added, with corn kernels, tuna, raw finely diced onions, dijon and grainy mustard, dried parsley and more salt/black pepper. That's quite a lot of salad but my kids and I polished off the lot in a day. They can easily burn off the cals but I can't and I must lose 5 kgs in about 3.5 weeks. Oh no, not another diet deadline. It's really important - I must - but not tomorrow as I'm having Mee Siam.
And lastly, instant noodle (Maggi asam laksa flavour) with crab stick, extra chillies, egg and seaweed. So bad good it hurts. Full of processed badness.

Tip of the iceberg. More bags joined this lot later. (photo removed - messy!)
Been sneezing and tearing since the afternoon from dust & heat but I think my anti-histamines are kicking in now so I think the bed calls. Must be up early tomorrow; dare I start on my wardrobes?

No comments: