Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sun, 12th Oct 2008

Something I've made once before - recipe adapted from here.
Assemble your ingredients. Washed and drained calrose rice, marinated/browned chicken drumsticks, brocolli florets, carrots cut into even rings, mushrooms, half an onion, dried herbs, milk and a tin of mushroom soup.
Firstly brown chicken and put aside, in same pan, fry onions, garlic, herbs and little black pepper.
Add rice. Saute mushrooms in hot pan with a little garlic to release their juices.
Start assembling. Rice first, mushrooms, pour soup/milk over, nestle browned drumsticks into rice mixture and garnish with raw mushrooms/brocolli.

And as if this creamy dish is not quite rich enough, top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Portion on left is for my children's dinner tonight and portion on the right is for lunch tomorrow.

After about 20 minutes - I added more milk at this stage as the rice was starting to get quite dry but far from being cooked.
Finally after an hour and a bit, here it is. Quite good but a little bland and we all know I like robust flavours. I did not add salt as I thought the soup will be salty enough but the addition of milk diluted the soup a lot. A little organic vegetable stock & more black pepper added to the soup/milk mixture will do wonders I think.
Just to show the inside - calrose rice is shortgrain and very starchy. This dish is almost like a risotto.

Mark's portion and a smaller one for Hazel on the right.
I had fish curry with brinjals, lady fingers, tofu and beancurd sticks.
Ohgodiamsofatanddepressed:-(

No comments: