Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Weds, 19th Sept 2007

Today I made beef stew again for my kids, using rump steak for a change. I usually buy my meat from SS as the quality is usually very good but this time I bought steak from another supermarket, not famed for their freshness. Well, the meat looked clean and fresh, and was displayed nicely so I decided to try it. BUT I INSISTED on sniffing the meat before buying it, and the butcher was kind enough to choose a piece and put it to my nose for a sniff test. It passed. So that strange woman sniffing at a piece of meat yesterday afternoon in a busy supermarket was me.

Here is the stew.

It's really easy to make - just dust flour, salt & pepper over raw cubed meat. Fry on high heat till edges are brown. Add herbs, black pepper and a bay leaf.

Add whole garlic & onions. Fry till both have brown edges.
Add a cup of red wine (use beef broth for a halal version). Add carrots and mushrooms. Add a tiny teaspoon of beef Bisto mixed with hot water. Simmer till meat is soft and tender. Garnish with parsley and black pepper. Eat with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.
If anybody wants a proper recipe and not this thrown together version, email me or leave a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh E, I would really like to try making this beef stew - it looks really good! I'd really appreciate your sharing the recipe :)
And also, all your postings have been very impressive - wish I could cook like you. You make it look so easy.

Foodie Tales said...

Hello A - I'll be posting the recipe soon. Glad to see you're still visiting. Selamat Berpuasa! Luv,E.