Saturday, September 22, 2007

Simple Beef Stew

For Pablo and A, who asked for the recipe for the beef stew I made this week, here it is:

(This was cooked in my Bessemer dutch oven over a low gas fire).
Ingredients

1 kg meat
2 medium onions - chopped into big pieces
6 pieces garlic - diced (large pieces)
3 carrots
8 large white button mushrooms quartered
Dried Herbs - parsley, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, marjoram (or just a bottle of plain mixed herbs) and a bay leaf
1 cup light beef broth (available in packets) or for non-Muslims (a cup of red wine)
About a tablespoon of beef Bisto mixed with a cup of hot water
Salt & Black Pepper

Method
1. Use shank, rump or topside (or any stewing cut) - a tiny bit of fat attached is good - cut into big cubes, dust with flour, salt & black pepper. (My personal favourite is shank). The flour will help thicken and darken the sauce later.

2. In a large non-stick hot pan, add olive oil and when oil is pretty hot, add meat and brown till edges are slightly caramelised. Any fat attached will be browned too and this will add flavour to the stew. If your pan is big, you can add all the meat in one go, if not, fry in batches. A too crowded pan will make the meat steam instead of fry and you don't want that.

3. Push meat aside, add onions and garlic and let them char slightly too.

4. Then throw in all the herbs & bay leaf (or 2), salt & black pepper.

5. Stir to combine on high heat, you want to hear the sizzle.

6. Add the cup of beef broth - Just a thought, why don't you try substituting red wine with red sparkling grape juice? I've not tried it but it might, might just work. (More broth if you want more gravy, but for richness and density in flavour, not too much as you want a rich, thick, tasty gravy).

7. Add carrots and mushrooms.

8. Add the Bisto mix.

At this point you can cook the stew on very low heat on the stove in the same pan (lid on), or tip the lot into a slow cooker.

Just check and stir occasionally, and it should be ready when the beef is soft but still has a little bit of bite left. Adjust seasoning and serve.

I cooked this one in an electric slow cooker.

This is a my very easy version, Delia Smith has wonderful beef stew recipes - check out her site. (I worship her).

p.s Pablo & A, I hope this is clear enough - and for A, I'm happy to come to your kitchen to show you personally. I mean it, so all you have to do is ask.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so so much for the detailed recipe - truly appreciate it and I will be trying it out real soon. As for your offer, that is very kind and generous of you. I'd love that! Let's arrange something after the upcoming festive season :)

Senor Pablo said...

E.. wah! thanks for the recipe.. Just in time for me to try today.hahaa. hmmm.. how come u don't offer to teach me in my kitchen? hahaa. too expensive affair.. I guess. Wil let u know the result of my experiment..hehee...Going it have for sungkai laterzzz..

Foodie Tales said...

Hi A - just give me a call when you're ready. And do let me know how your stew turned out to be.

Pablo - pictures please!!!!!!

E.